Hello and welcome ....

....to some pictures and a little text in which we follow the activities of a barely competent gardener as he struggles to wrench back control of his patch from the forces of Mother Nature's feral twin sister.

Wednesday 5 January 2011

Jerusalem Sage


A plant that I see relatively seldom in the gardens around here - but it is one of  my favourites. In Summer these seed heads will have creamy yellow flowers on them, about twenty per head which grow upwards from the base making a little pompom or sea urchin shape.

I don't think it has any family relationship with conventional sages - but it is a native of the eastern end of the Mediterranean (hence the Jerusalem) and the dark green leaves are remeniscent of salvias. Some texts say the leaves are aromatic but they aren't on mine.

According to the experts at the BBC this is a plant for the experienced gardener but I can't say I've noticed. I cut it back ruthlessly to the ground every year and it comes back in the Summer.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to Kristin at "My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia" my first ever link party for Cottage Flora Thursday's is up & running! Inviting you to come over & link a cottage garden post you may have & please advertise "Cottage Flora Thursday's" on your post that you link!! & don't forget to become a follower of my blog !!!

    ReplyDelete