Hello and welcome ....

....to some pictures and a little text in which we follow the activities of a barely competent gardener as he struggles to wrench back control of his patch from the forces of Mother Nature's feral twin sister.

Wednesday 12 January 2011

Corkscrew Hazel

I really like the tangled up knottedness of this plant. Although it never thrives (it's probably in too small a pot) it keeps struggling on year after year. As you can see the pot is infested with all kinds of weeds at the minute. I'll have to tidy it up and give it a new top dressing this week. maybe I'll even be kind and give it a new pot.

8 comments:

  1. Great photo! And I kind of like the touch of green that the weeds bring to the otherwise black/grey/brown composition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it particularly difficult to find the right angle in this kind of subjects.

    Beautiful composition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it too, with the green, don't be too harsh with the weeding! :-)
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a lovely shrub when the branches are bare and the catkins appear though I was never too keen on the curled leaves.
    Thanks for commenting on my blog and leaving the spider info - who would have thought a Mouse Spider would be so dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love corkscrew hazel when the branches are bare, but made the mistake of getting a plain green variety. I just didn't like the leaves, they hung there like dull green pennants. Next time I will go for the purple form. Lovely photo, weeds and all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I havent seen this plant before but the tangled bare branches look so artistic, looks good in a floral arrangement!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooooh ~ more fascinating twists and turns! I would not have noticed the weeds if you had not mentioned them. In answer to the first part of your question over on my blog my software is iPhoto. The second part re workflow when saving for the web ~ I've not got a clue :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the knotted yet elegant look.

    ReplyDelete